Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Resource Room, Round Two

So this week I'm continuing work on the Resource Room.  At the end of last week I went shopping for a rug, clock, ottoman, cleaning supplies, and a few other things to brighten the room.  After tons of cleaning and moving furniture, it's almost done.  It has been super exciting to see the progress.  Here are some updated pictures:


The new front room. Office and study space, sofa, calendar for LGBT events.  This will also be the spot for a Safer Sex Station. 

  

 The back room, view one.  Organized GSA storage, new ottoman (I'm super excited because it's a fun color.  It doesn't take a lot to get me excited, clearly), rainbow flag, new sofa arrangement.


The back room, view two.  Fun new rainbow rug, growing library collection, and the tv, which is situated so that it can be seen from both sofas.

Let me know what you think!

The last round of the room is going to be developing the actual resources in it.  For this, I have contacted a few people to recommend books and movies and to help supply safer sex supplies and pamphlets.  I will of course provide updates on that process.  Between narrowing down and ordering the list of books and movies, finishing the new resource binder, and gathering pamphlets and supplies from LGBT-friendly Memphis organizations, the Resource Room is going to keep me busy for another week, but the furniture, cleaning, and other decoration stuff is finished.  Yay!  If you're on campus, feel free to stop by.  I will probably be lurking down here all this week and most of next.  

Special thanks to Rin Abernathy (former Sassy Lesbian columnist for the paper, current lesbro and Fellowships worker) for giving input about everything from furniture arrangement to wall clock color and to Lynn Conlee in Communications for designing our awesome new welcome sign.  Here's a picture of that as well: 


Lynn made it Rhodes rainbow colors. :)

Finally, Happy Pride!  To celebrate, here are two of my favorite photos from the Huffington Post 2012 Pride photo gallery.  

Super cool and cute dog expressing his love of lesbians at West Hollywood Pride. 

Oldest and youngest marchers at the first statewide equality march in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.  

Again, let me know if you have questions or concerns through a comment or the Contact Us tab at the top, which goes directly to my email.  I'd love to hear from you! 


No comments:

Post a Comment